A simple plastic spoon coated in chocolate is a nice added touch with a gift of coffee beans. You’ll soon think of other gifts that would be enhanced by these sweet utensils.
Other items you’ll need:
40 heavy plastic spoons
Deep glass measuring cup
Colored cellophane or Saran Wrap
- Pour the chips into a heatproof container, such as a measuring cup. A deep cup is the best for this project.
- Microwave the cup of chips at half power for one minute. Stir. Repeat in 30 second bursts until chocolate is smooth and fully melted, but do NOT over cook.
- Add to the melted chocolate one teaspoon of shortening for each cup of chips. Stir lightly until just blended.
- Dip plastic spoons into the chocolate to coat the bowl and about one inch of the handle. If the chocolate starts to harden, microwave 30 seconds at half power.
- Lay spoons on wax paper to set.
When chocolate spoons have set, put them in the freezer for 15 minutes. This makes them easier to handle when you start to wrap them.
Take squares of colored cellophane and wrap the coated spoons. Tie with a pretty ribbon.
A bundle of chocolate spoons set in a coffee mug makes a nice gift.
Tie a few spoons to a bag of gourmet coffee beans for a coffee loving friend.
Keep spoons on hand during the holidays to use when serving drinks to your visitors.